John J. Griffin papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists mainly of Rev. Griffin’s Camp Namaschaug documents, including business correspondence, bills, receipts, financial information, booklets and advertisements, and legal documents. The collection also contains some artifacts from the camp such as photo booklets and Rev. Griffin’s camera and set of keys. Also included in the collection are academic documents, newspaper clippings about John Griffin, and personal records such as his will and letters from his sister Mary.
- Creation: 1890-1938
- Griffin, John J., 1859-1921 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is located at the Loyola Notre Dame Library. Contact Archives and Special Collections for more information.
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The John J. Griffin papers are the physical property of Archives and Special Collections, Loyola Notre Dame Library. Copyright, except in cases where material has passed into the public domain, belongs to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns.
Biographical / Historical
Father John J. Griffin, born in 1859, was a Catholic priest and academic. Griffin earned his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1895. He was a professor of chemistry at Catholic University and Notre Dame of Maryland. He taught at Notre Dame from 1891 until his death in 1921. He was the sole professor of chemistry during most of his tenure at both Notre Dame and Catholic University. Students were often treated to Father Griffin's illustrated lectures, where he projected and discussed slides depicting various countries and regions.
Much of Griffin's life outside of the classroom was devoted to the development of young men at his camp in New Hampshire, Camp Namaschaug. Griffin was also very interested in photography and documented the camp through numerous photographs. Father Griffin's goal at Camp Namaschaug was to develop the campers' mind, body, and soul. This included physical work to make them stronger, classes on courses like English and Latin, and spiritual exercises. Camp applicants had to prove their good moral behavior to be accepted to the summer camp.
When he died in 1921, he left the camp to the sisters of the College of Notre Dame of Maryland. He is buried in the mausoleum of the cemetery on the Notre Dame of Maryland University campus.
4.54 Cubic Feet (Three letter-sized document boxes, one flat box, two oversized boxes. )
Language of Materials
Father John J. Griffin, born in 1859, was a Catholic priest and academic. This collection consists mainly of Rev. Griffin’s Camp Namaschaug documents, including business correspondence, bills, receipts, financial information, booklets and advertisements, and legal documents.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
There is no known acquisition information for this collection.
This collection was processed in February 2021 by Christopher Linfante.
- Guide to the John J. Griffin papers
- Christopher Linfante
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description