Skip to main content

Mount Saint Agnes College collection

Identifier: MSAC-001-001

Scope and Contents

The Mount Saint Agnes College collection, 1898-2020, contains records documenting the administrative, academic, and cultural life of the college. The collection includes administrative records, Alumnae Association records, audiovisual material, ephemera, photographs, press releases, programs, publications, and memorabilia.


  • Creation: 1898-2020

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is located at the Loyola Notre Dame Library. Contact Archives and Special Collections for more information.

Some records may be restricted. Access is restricted to education records of living students or former students, as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, unless the student or former student grants access in writing. If it is not possible to verify date of death, the student will be assumed to be deceased 80 years after date of graduation, or date of last attendance.

Conditions Governing Use

The Mount Saint Agnes College collection is the physical property of Archives and Special Collections, Loyola Notre Dame Library. Copyright, except in cases where material has passed into the public domain, belongs to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns.

Biographical / Historical

Mount Saint Agnes College was a Catholic women's college located in the Mount Washington neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland and operated by the Sisters of Mercy. In 1853 the original land was purchased by Elias Heiner and George Gelbach, Jr. to build Mount Washington Female College. Mount Washington Female College was chartered in 1856, but the College closed during the Civil War and after the war the land was bought and sold numerous times. Eventually, the property was sold to Charles Dougherty, who purchased the land for the Sisters of Mercy in 1867. Because Charles Dougherty bought the land, and later sold it to the Sisters of Mercy, the Sisters changed the name to Mount Saint Agnes, the name of his wife.

Mount Saint Agnes Academy, a preparatory school, was opened in September 1867. The first “directress” was Sister Mary de Chantal Digges, who served until 1871. The Sisters bought the property from Dougherty in 1870. On March 24, 1890, a bill was approved unanimously by the Maryland State Senate that gave Mount Saint Agnes Collegiate Institute for Young Ladies and Preparatory School for Little Girls the right to confer degrees. This power was not exercised until 1899, when the program had been developed to the satisfaction of the college’s authorities. However, the impact of the First World War brought a diminution in the College’s enrollment, so it was decided to close the College in 1918, leaving only the elementary and high school groups. In 1933, a junior college was begun under the powers granted by the 1890 charter, and a junior class was added in September 1946 to begin the evolution to a four-year college. The re-established Mount Saint Agnes College graduated its first class in June 1948 and was accredited by the Middle States Association in 1949. In 1971, Mount Saint Agnes merged with nearby Loyola College in Maryland, which still oversees the Mount Saint Agnes Alumnae Association. The college closed as its own degree-granting institution in 1972.


"Mount Saint Agnes College," Accessed 2 October 2018.

"Keynotes," the Student Handbook of Mount Saint Agnes College.


23.20 Cubic Feet (16 legal size document boxes, 6 half size legal document boxes, 2 tall legal boxes, 7 records center cartons, 4 oversize boxes, 1 flat box, 11 hangers, 3 map case folders)

Language of Materials



The Mount Saint Agnes College collection, 1898-2020, contains records documenting the administrative, academic, and cultural life of the college. Mount Saint Agnes College was a Catholic women's college in Baltimore, Maryland, operated by the Sisters of Mercy religious order.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Materials in this collection have been donated to the Archives by individuals affiliated with Mount Saint Agnes College as alumnae, administrators, or faculty.

Processing Information

This collection was processed in 2017 by Anna Clarkson.



Guide to the Mount Saint Agnes College collection
Anna Clarkson
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Loyola Notre Dame Library Archives and Special Collections Repository

200 Winston Avenue
Baltimore MD 21212